Wheel2WheelRacing
Welcome to the Wheel2WheelRacing Playstation 4 F1 League! Thanks for Visiting!

We are a website of clean and enthusiastic drivers, and you can join us by creating a free account, clicking 'Register'. If possible, please use your PSN username - this will make it easier for you and League Moderators to add each other.

After signing up, write a post in the 'Welcome to W2WR' section letting us know, and we will arrange a quick induction with you in a private online lobby. Getting approval in this session with a League Moderator will grant you access to start racing in the Leagues.

Look forward to seeing you on track,
Wheel2WheelRacing Website Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wheel2WheelRacing
Welcome to the Wheel2WheelRacing Playstation 4 F1 League! Thanks for Visiting!

We are a website of clean and enthusiastic drivers, and you can join us by creating a free account, clicking 'Register'. If possible, please use your PSN username - this will make it easier for you and League Moderators to add each other.

After signing up, write a post in the 'Welcome to W2WR' section letting us know, and we will arrange a quick induction with you in a private online lobby. Getting approval in this session with a League Moderator will grant you access to start racing in the Leagues.

Look forward to seeing you on track,
Wheel2WheelRacing Website Team
Wheel2WheelRacing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AL2 from the Cockpit: South Korea and Japan

Go down

AL2 from the Cockpit: South Korea and Japan Empty AL2 from the Cockpit: South Korea and Japan

Post by RosstheIcon Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Firstly I must apologise for the lack of activity from me. This is due to a combination of factors, including:

• There have still been no highlights or results posted for the Korean GP
    The Korean Grand Prix was as dull as dishwater.
    I've had a busy week, including a lovely trip to Bath last weekend

Anyway, I guess I'll have to find something to say about Korea first, so here goes:

Going into the weekend I had a sense of dread. Yeongam is a track I really don't like and haven't been able to find a way of getting round quickly on any F1 game. My target for the weekend then was damage limitation. In qualifying this was achieved as I took 2nd on the grid behind the impressive S007PS, although as in Germany I missed out on an option run by the thickness of a badgers scrotum. Championship leader con_reece decided that qualifying was an unnecessary surplus to his weekend though, and lined up towards the back. I can't remember where anyone else was but rest assured it wasn't very exciting.

The race was fun....for about 5 minutes as I battled with the two Toro Rossos and goodhead, who was looking as fast as I've seen him all season. This didn't last long though, as my rear tyres decided even they were bored and stopped gripping, resulting in me ploughing into Barwell, putting us both towards the back.

I was able to work my way back though though, and despite letting SOO7PS though at one point in the hope that he could challenge Con, the latter was just too good. I was able to grab 2nd though, and a thoroughly drab affair was at an end. I even decided to reverse across the line out of sheer boredom, having spent two thirds of the race in the middle of a yawning chasm between Con and S007PS. Barwell probably came 4th? No idea about anyone else.

Now, Japan!

In contrast to Yeongam, where the first sector is boring and the rest is just annoying, Suzuka is an outstanding circuit. The flow of it makes it a pleasure to drive. I must have been excited to get out on track, because I completely forgot to set my car up, resulting in being 0.7 secs of the pace set by Con in Qualifying.

Then lady luck intervened.

Immediately off the line Short Leg (love that username) disconnected. This meant a restart had to happen. Cue massive celebrations in the Sauber pit and a vaguely embarrassing dance being done by me.

The one-shot qualifying left a new order, as only 3 driver completed the lap in the order of myself, daveh and S007PS. Somehow CHM1945 managed to end up behind steward Tallboy.

The start was fairly uneventful for me as I lead cleanly from daveh, but a hilarious incident took place at Degner, where first S007Ps, then justanumber, then Barwell and decided that the gravel trap looked interesting and decided to take a trip through it, while short leg went off on the exit of the second Degner. this left CHM in 3rd and con in 4th, but he wasted no time getting past CHM and daveh and began to work on the gap to me. The chase was on.

The gap kept closing until con was right on my tail. This remained the case until lap 30 when, having rebuilt a small lead, I came across CHM, who is building a reputation of being difficult to lap. True to form I was forced into avoiding action when he raked earlier than expected into the last chicane, putting con right back on my gearbox. At this point though, Lady Luck again stepped in, and decided that Con should lose his front wing, which he duly did in a way that nobody knows. From then on it was an easy run to the flag for me, although I took the time to steal the fastest lap on the penultimate lap. Con still managed an easy 2nd from the Toro Rossos, headed by Barwell, and the Mclarens, headed by daveh.

Since it's been 2 weeks, let's review where the top 5 drivers lie now:

1st. con_reece 232pts

It was an unlucky weekend for con, but he still managed to take 2nd place and keeps a heavy lead going into the last 4 races. The fact is that he has one hand on this championship and it's going to take some more serious bad luck to knock it off.

2nd. RosstheIcon 194pts (-38)

I think that I am probably the only other person with a vague prayer of winning the title this season, and even so it would take some more serious luck, most of which I probably used up to win at Suzuka.

3rd. barwell74 162pts (-70)

The championship is looking increasingly out of reach for barwell, who will have to console himself with a very successful season, including a fantastic win at Monaco.

4th. S007PS 149pts (-87)

Wasn't even a part of this feature previously, but is still mathematically in the running with 4 races to go. Can he win a race this year?

5th. benappleby 137pts (-101)

Did well to hand on as long as he did, but has now been overtaken by S007PS in the championship and is mathematically out of the running.

For the first time this season now, let's have a look at the Constructors' Championship...

1st. Red Bull Racing Renault 313pts

It has been a tremendous season for RBR, as it looks likely that they'll waltz home with the Drivers' title, but can they do the double? Con_reece is doing his best but he'll need help from his often absent teammate Will_I_Am-3001 if they are to fend off the challengers.

2nd. Scuderia Toro Rosso Ferrari 303pts (-10)

Teamwork and consistency have left Toro Rosso with a great chance of overhauling big brothers RBR in this championship. Both S007PS and barwell74 have notched up consistant podiums this year, but will Dietrich Mateschitz allow the two teams to compete?

3rd. Sauber Ferrari 249pts (-64)

Pretty much included in this part of the column as they are my team, Sauber are very much the title outsiders, but are also the only non-red bull backed team to have notched up multiple race victories this year. Sauber will feel that they have a big say in where this championship goes, even if they are unlikely to win it themselves.

Awards:

Korea:

DOTD: con_reece
Pastor Maldonado Award for ram of the Day: RosstheIcon
Grand Canyon oversized gap of the day: the space between con_reece and everyone else

Japan:

DOTD: Short_Leg
NSPCC award for Charity of the day: Short_Leg
Jenson Button award for generally being a top guy: Short_Leg
Morgan Freeman Award for being God: Short_Leg

RosstheIcon
RosstheIcon

Back to top Go down